Skip Navigation
This table is used for column layout.
Welcome to the website for Concord, Massachusetts

Links for Residents
Links for Businesses
Links for Visitors

About Concord
Town Departments
Office Locations
Boards & Committees
Important Documents
Job Opportunities
Online Payments
Employees Only
Subscribe to News
Home Page

Concord, MA Public Access TV

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter

Marriage Certificates
Marriages are recorded in the city or town where the couple applies for the marriage license.  If you applied for a marriage license in Concord, you can obtain certified marriage certificates here after the wedding takes place.

The cost for a certified marriage certificate is $15.00 for each copy.   

Call us at 978-318-3080 to request a copy for pickup, or send your request to Town Clerk, P.O. Box 535, Concord, MA 01742. Be sure to include your check or money order payable to the Town of Concord, a self-addressed, stamped envelope, the names of both parties (prior to marriage), and the date of the wedding.

NEW!  Marriage Certificates can now be requested and paid for online from your checking account or with a debit or credit card (Visa, Master Card or Discover Card). You will receive your documents via mail (rush delivery available for an extra fee). This secure service is made possible through an agreement with Unibank. A nominal fee will apply to credit card transactions, while there is no charge to pay directly from your checking account.   Click Here to go to the online payment screen.

Marriage Licenses

When are you open?

Summer Hours (July & August):
Monday through Thursday -- 8:30 am to 5:00 pm
Friday -- 8:30 am to Noon

September through June Hours:
Monday through Friday:
8:30 am to 4:30 pm

Closed Saturdays and Sundays

Where are you located?

The Concord Town House is located in Monument Square (Concord Center), at the corner of Route 62 and Monument Square. The Town Clerk’s Office is on the first floor. On-street parking is available. (Click here for a map of our location.)

When should we apply?  

The marriage license is valid for 60 days from the day you apply (after the 3-day waiting period.) Apply for your license no sooner than 60 days before your planned wedding date.

Do I have to apply where I live?  

If the marriage is to take place in Massachusetts, you may apply for your license at any City or Town Clerk's Office in Massachusetts regardless of where you live. Fees and hours vary from office to office. Information on offices in other cities and towns can be obtained from the Commonwealth Communities page on the State of Massachusetts website.

If your marriage is going to take place outside of Massachusetts, you must contact the local officials in the jurisdiction where the marriage will take place. Marriage laws vary from state to state.

Do I need an appointment to apply for a marriage license?

No appointment is necessary. A couple must appear at the Town Clerk's Office together, in person, to file a "Notice of Intention to Marry." This can be done any time during our regular office hours. Please allow approximately fifteen minutes for completion of your application.

Is there a waiting period from the date of application to the date the license is issued?

Yes, there is a three-day waiting period. Your license will be available on the third calendar day after the day that you apply. For example, if you apply on a Friday, your license can be issued on or after Monday.  Please note that licenses are not issued on Saturday or Sunday (when we are closed) unless special arrangements are made with the Town Clerk.

Is a waiver of the three-day waiting period available?

If there is reason to dispense with the three day waiting period, a couple may apply to the judge of a Massachusetts Probate or District Court to have the license issued without delay. Applicants can proceed to the courthouse after filing the "Notice of Intention to Marry" with the Town Clerk.

The  Concord District Court is located on Walden Street (Route 126) and can be reached at 978-369-0500. Courthouse hours are 8:30 am to 4:30 pm, Monday through Friday. The fee for the waiver at District Courts in Massachusetts is currently $195, payable by either cash or check. The Courthouse staff recommends that applicants for waivers arrive at the Courthouse no later than 3:00 pm to assure ample time for consideration of the waiver prior to closing time.

The  Middlesex County Probate Court is located at 208 Cambridge St. in Cambridge and can be reached at 617-768-5800. Courthouse hours are 8:00 am to 4:30 pm, Monday Through Friday. The fee for the waiver at Probate Courts in Massachusetts is currently $85.00.

Is a blood test required before a license can be issued?

No. On October 29, 2004, the Governor signed a law eliminating the premarital medical certificate requirement in Massachusetts. This law went into effect on January 28, 2005.

What is the fee for obtaining a marriage license in Concord?

The fee is $50. This fee includes the license and one certified copy of the marriage certificate after the wedding. 

How do I find a Justice of the Peace?

Can a friend be authorized to perform my marriage ceremony?

The Governor's Office may issue a certificate authorizing a citizen to solemnize a specified marriage on a specified day. Click here to visit he State's website for information and an application.

Is Massachusetts residency required to obtain a marriage license in Massachusetts?

No. Residence is not a requirement for marriage in Massachusetts.

Are same-sex couples who reside outside of Massachusetts allowed to be married in Massachusetts?

Yes.  As of July 31, 2008, the former requirement that same-sex couples either reside in Massachusetts, or intend to move to Massachusetts, is no longer valid.  


What if one or both of us has been divorced?

You are not required to present a divorce certificate when filing intentions to marry. However, it is extremely important that an individual who has been divorced be certain that his/her divorce is absolute. In Massachusetts, a divorce does not become absolute until 90 days after the divorce nisi has been granted, regardless of the grounds for divorce.

Are witnesses required to be present at the ceremony?

Massachusetts statute does not require that witnesses be present at your ceremony. The officiant serves as the witness.

What if I have further questions?
You may contact the Town Clerk’s Office by telephone during office hours (978-318-3080), or via e-mail at Our mailing address is: Town Clerk, P.O. Box 535, Concord, MA 01742.

Website Disclaimer

Privacy Statement
Virtual Towns & Schools Website