In Spring 2002 Town Meeting voted to require registration of all automatic in-ground irrigation systems permanently connected to the public water supply. In addition, to insure irrigation water is used safely and efficiently all systems are required to be equipped with the following:
Why the Town wants to know about your in-ground sprinkler
Did you know that Concord’s water demand jumps by 50 percent during the summer months, largely due to outdoor water use? A properly designed and operated irrigation system will result in "smarter sprinkling" by avoiding lawn watering during or after rainfall when the ground doesn’t need it and by timing watering early in the morning when it is most likely to be absorbed. When the over 600 in-ground irrigation systems in Concord are registered and properly equipped:
- Peak period water consumption will be reduced.
- Water emergencies and bans will be less likely.
- There will be less wear and tear on the Town’s water pumping systems.
- Homeowners will realize long-term savings, as the devices pay for themselves in one-to- two years.
- Water quality protection will be enhanced.
For more information on the in-ground irrigation bylaw or other water conservation measures, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 978-318-3250.