Household Hazardous Waste
Sept. 21, 2016 Concord Hazardous Waste Collection.  
Click Here for information or call 978-318-3240

Many materials fall into the category of Hazardous Waste and should not be disposed of with regular household waste. Concord Public Works provides drop-off locations for a number different materials. Other materials may be taken to the Minuteman Regional Household Hazardous Waste Facility (see below). There are contact numbers listed at the bottom of this page for additional information.

Hazardous Waste
Drop-off Locations

Paint and Related Products

Latex paint in excellent, usable condition only

Oil and alkyd paint in any condition

Varnishes and finishes in any condition

Removers and thinners in any condition
Composting Site
Walden Street
Saturdays, 9-3
April - October

Motor Oil
Walmart and Napa Auto Parts in Maynard have accepted used motor oil.  Residents are asked to call first.
Walmart and Napa Auto Parts in Maynard.
Fluorescent Bulbs  

Straight, round, & u-shaped fluorescent lamps

Compact fluorescent bulbs
Concord Municipal LIght Plant - 1175 Elm St.
M-F 8:30 - 4:30
Vanderhoof's Hardware
West Concord 5 & 10
Compost Site
Concord Public Works
133 Keyes Road
Weekdays 8:30 - 4:30
Special Batteries  
Ni-Cd and Other Rechargeable Batteries - cell phone, cordless phone, laptop computer, power tools, electric tooth brush, beeper, etc.

Button Batteries - hearing aid, watch, calculator

Specialty Batteries - lithium camera batteries and other specialty batteries.
Do not recycle
Alkaline batteries (regular A AA AAA C D 9vt) are not hazardous and can be disposed of at home with your regular trash.

Automobile Batteries
Automobile batteries should be taken to a local auto mechanic for recycling.

Concord Public Works
Concord Library
Concord Town House
West Concord 5 & 10

Mercury Containing Devices
Household thermostats

Mercury fever thermometers (silver)

Other intact mercury containing device

Mercury not contained in a manufactured device should be taken to the Minuteman Regional Household Hazardous Waste Facility.
Concord Public Works
133 Keyes Road
Weekdays 8:30 - 4:30

Minuteman Regional
Household Hazardous Waste Facility
The Town of Concord is a member of the Minuteman Regional Household Hazardous Waste Facility (MMHWF). This facility, located in Lexington, is open one Saturday per month, April through November and accepts a wide variety of hazardous wastes.

Acceptable Materials
General Household & Hobby

Acids (corrosives)

Aerosol cans

Art supplies

Chemistry set chemicals
Fiberglass resins

Flammable liquids

Furniture, floor, metal polishes

Hobby supplies (rubber cement, airplane glue, etc.)

Lead-acid home security batteries

Lead paint


Moth balls/crystals

Oil paint in aerosol cans

Photography chemicals
Rug and upholstery cleaners
Solvent adhesives
Unlabeled and unknown chemicals
Drain cleaner

Lighter fluids
Oven cleaners
 Hair dye

Nail polish remover
Toilet cleaners

Chlorine bleach
Spot removers
Spray starch

Lawn and Garden

Cesspool cleaners (corrosives)

Empty or partially empty propane tanks up to 20lbs.

Fire starters

Flea and tick powders


No-pest strips
Pool chemicals

 Brake fluid  

 Carburetor cleaners
Lead-acid batteries (auto, motorcycle, security alarm, etc.)  

Radiator flush  

 Solvents and degreasers
Tire cleaners
Transmission fluid  

 Used motor oil
Waste fuels (gasoline, kerosene, etc.)

Unacceptable Materials
How to Dispose
Alkaline Batteries
Dispose of with your regular trash
Look in Yellow Pages for a licensed contractor
Construction Waste - Railroad ties and asbestos shingles, etc.
Call a private hauler
CRT's (computer monitors, TV's, etc.)
Bring to Concord Public Works Drop-off Days
Explosives or any ordnance (gunpowder, ammunition, unknown cylinders, flares, etc.)
Call the Fire Department at 318-3488
Fire extinguishers
Dispose of at local fire station
Hypodermic needles
SHARPS INC. at 800-772-5657, and DropOff Days.
Smoke detectors
Contact the manufacturer or CPW

To Attend an Event

Subscribers to Municipal Curbside Collection Program – Hazardous waste disposal is included in the cost of the annual subscription fee. Subscribers may attend one hazardous waste collection event per year at no additional cost. To obtain a free pass for up to 25 gallons or lbs of hazardous waste contact Concord Public Works at 978-318-3240 prior to the day of the event. Residents that attend the event without a pass will be charged.

Other Residents – Residents that do not subscribe to the municipal curbside collection program may use the Minuteman facility.  Typically the fees range from $35 for up to 10 gallons or lbs.  - $60 for up to 25 lbs. or gallons. Payment by check is required at the event (cash and credit cards are NOT accepted). The Minuteman Regional Household Hazardous Waste Facility is located at 60 Hartwell Avenue in Lexington, the hours are 9:00 A.M. to 2:00 P.M.

Businesses Businesses may use the Minuteman facility for a fee. Please contact Clean Harbors directly at 781-380-7121 to pre-register.

If you have any questions please contact Concord Public Works at 978-318-3240

Schedule of Household Hazardous Waste Collection Events 2016:
April 16
May 14
June 18
July 16
August 13
September 18 (Sunday)*
September 21 (Wednesday)* - at 133 Keyes Road - Click Here for Details
October 15
November 12

*All Saturdays Except for September 18 and September 21

For more information
For more information on hazardous waste visit the Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection's (DEP) website at
or contact the following:

Mercury Hotline - 866-963-7287

For consumer questions on HHP:
DEP Household Hazardous Waste Hotline: 800-343-3420

For general information on hard to manage wastes:
DEP Coordinator for Hard to Manage Wastes 617-292-5704

For questions from businesses about how to manage hazardous materials:
DEP Business Compliance Assistance 617-292-5898

For questions specifically about used oil collection centers:
DEP Used Oil Hotline: 617-556-1022

For confidential technical assistance to businesses by a non-regulatory agency:
Massachusetts Office of Technical Assistance 617-727-3260

For alternatives to hazardous household products:
Massachusetts Office of Technical Assistance 617-727-3260 x696

For poison exposure information:
Poison Control 617-232-2120

For information on activities in specific geographic areas:
DEP Regional Service Centers:
Northeast 978-661-7677
Southeast 508-946-2714
Central 508-792-7683
Western 413-784-1100 x261