For Immediate Release: February 6, 2015
Woman Pleads Guilty To Forging More Than $229,000 Worth Of Checks
WOBURN – Middlesex District Attorney Marian Ryan has announced that a woman has pled guilty in connection with stealing blank checks from a household where she worked, forging names on the checks, and cashing them in order to collect more than $229,000.
Nilce Coffey, 61, of Acton, pled guilty in Middlesex Superior Court to charges of larceny over $250 from a person over 60 years of age, forgery, and trespassing. Judge Thomas Billings sentenced Coffey to 3 years in state prison followed by 5 years probation, with restitution to be determined and a condition that Coffey submit to an evaluation and follow any recommended treatment guidelines.
“Nilce Coffey preyed on the kindness of a senior citizen,” said District Attorney Ryan. “While she was a housekeeper, she secretly took blank checks from the home, forged signatures on them, and cashed them to get money. When the homeowner gave her a chance to turn her life around and he didn’t press charges, she victimized him again. Coffey snuck into the home and stole more blank checks. Shame on her for continuing to prey on this man’s good heart and shame on anyone who would take advantage of the trust placed in them by a senior citizen.”
“The successful resolution of this case is another example of the strong partnership that exists between the Concord Police Department and the Middlesex District Attorney’s Office,” said Concord Police Chief Joseph O'Connor. “Detective Sergeant Joseph Morahan and the District Attorney’s Office conducted a thorough investigation and presented evidence which resulted in Nilce Coffey being held accountable for her crimes.”
Evidence gathered during the investigation showed that in April of 2009, Coffey forged a check taken from a residence where she worked as a housekeeper. Coffey was confronted and admitted to forging a signature in order to cash the check for $6,000. The employer decided not to press charges and Coffey was released from his employment.
Authorities say several years later, the alarm system in the home went off on September 5, 2013. The security company called the residence and the person who answered the phone could not provide a password. Police were sent to the property and found the intruder gone. The security company provided a recording of the phone conversation and the family identified the voice as belonging to Coffey.
Later, in October of 2013, the family reported to law enforcement that numerous checks had been drawn from the household’s bank account and that they were forged and cashed. The amount of the checks ranged from $28 to $25,000. The total amount of the 44 checks that were forged and cashed was $229,892.58. One month later, police executed a search warrant at Coffey’s home, found checks belonging to the family that was victimized, and Coffey was arrested.
District Attorney Ryan says this case should serve as a reminder to senior citizens and to family members about the importance of regularly checking bank statements and other financial documents. Before assuming the position as District Attorney, Ryan served as Chief of the Middlesex District Attorney’s Office’s Elder and Disabled Unit, where she prosecuted a myriad of crimes involving financial abuse and physical abuse of the most vulnerable victims. In that role, Ryan collaborated with business and community leaders to conduct risk assessments and develop prevention plans for elders and disabled citizens. Ryan continues to host seminars in community settings to provide advice to residents about how to protect themselves. Some information provided at these forums by Ryan includes reminding people that, “If it’s too good to be true, it probably is.”
For example, if someone offers to take over the task of paying your bills for you, make sure that person can be trusted and check financial statements regularly. In addition, be skeptical if you receive a phone call or letter claiming you will get money for providing your social security number or personal information. Ryan says the age-old safety precautions still apply in these modern times: lock your front door, never give personal information to strangers, and don’t allow people into your home even if they say they have an emergency and need to use your phone. Finally, Ryan says if you think you have been a victim of a scam, speak up, and tell someone in authority.
The prosecutor assigned to this case is Assistant District Attorney Doug Nagengast. The Victim Witness Advocate is Lori Riccio.
Winter Parking Ban: November. 1 – April 1
For safer streets and to ensure 24-7 access for emergency vehicles a Winter Parking Ban is in effect from 1 a.m. to 6 a.m. November 1st to April 1st. Please remind your guests. Vehicles will be towed if necessary. There is also no overnight parking in municipal parking lots.
Concord Police Department
On-Line Crash Reports
As a service to our residents and the business community, Concord Police Department is proud to announce a partnership with GetCrashReports.com to provide online access to all Concord Massachusetts crash reports. All crash reports will be available 72 hours after the crash occurs (or sooner if completed) except for fatal crashes and crashes under investigation. Fatal crash reports must be purchased at the Concord Police Department.
All requests from businesses for Concord Massachusetts crash reports will be referred to GetCrashReports.com. Concord Police will not provide crash reports to businesses unless a specific crash report cannot be located on the GetCrashReports.com website, or is a walk-in public records request.
Follow the below instructions to locate a report:
> Go to GetCrashReports.com and click on the State of Massachusetts
> Enter Search Values in Box B: (report number, person name or town name)
> Enter optional Date Range in Box C
> Click the Next Step button
> Click the Add to Cart check box for the desired report and click the Next Step button
> Fill in the credit card information and click the Place Order Now button
> Click Download Crash Report button to view your report
CCHS TRAFFIC PLAN
Staff and students only will be allowed to enter from the Walden Street driveway beginning Feb. 25. Students will park in the main lot closest to Walden Street.
All parents and visitors should enter from the Thoreau Street driveway and drop their children in front of the school as usual.
Parents may only enter from the Thoreau Street driveway when picking students up in the afternoon. The Walden Street exit will be reserved for buses, faculty and student vehicles.
Parents should line up along the driveway on the right side as they come up the hill. A new pick-up loop is being created at the top of the Thoreau Street drive hill to allow parents to turn around and exit along the Thoreau Street drive.
When parents are ready to pick-up students, they are instructed to either go into the new loop or have them walk down the hill to where the car is waiting.
Parents not to enter the circle in front of the school at any time, as athletic buses will be using the area in the afternoon and evenings.
All visitor parking will now be in the main lot, near the “S” building.
All parking for school and athletic events is also in the main lot.
There will be parking for turf field events in the lot near the fields after 3:30 p.m. each day.
There will be no vehicular access to the lower gym lot or the back of the school.
People will still be able to access the lower fields through the current football game gate as well as through a gate closer to the Thoreau Street entrance.
Concord Police Department Emergency Notification System
The Concord Police Department has partnered with Emergency Communications Network to license its CodeRED high-speed notification solution to create a Concord Police Department Emergency Notification System. The CodeRED System provides Concord Police Department with the ability to quickly deliver personalized messages via voice, email, phone text and TDD/TTY capabilities to targeted areas or the entire Town of Concord in minutes.
Such systems are only as good as the telephone number database supporting them. "If your phone number is not in the database, you will not be called." One of the reasons the CodeRED system was selected is that it gives individuals and businesses the ability to add their own phone numbers directly into the system's data base, which is an extremely important feature.
No one should automatically assume his or her phone number is included all individuals and businesses to log onto the Town of Concord's website, www.concordma.gov, and follow the link to the Concord Police Department’s home page. From there, there will be information about the Concord Police Department Emergency Notification System and a link to the form that can be filled out. Anyone without Internet access may call the Concord Police Department at 978-318-3400 to supply their information over the phone. Required information includes first and last name, street address (physical address, no P.O. boxes), city, state, zip code, and primary phone number. Additional phone numbers can be entered as well.
All businesses should register, as well as all individuals who have unlisted phone numbers, and those who have changed their phone number or address within the past year or who use a cellular phone or VoIP phone as their primary number.
The Concord Police Department Emergency Notification System allows geographically based delivery, which means street addresses are required to ensure emergency notification calls are received by the proper individuals in a given situation. The system works for cell phones too, but we need to have an associated street address to provide relevant messages."
The Concord Police Department Emergency Notification System gives those who want to be included an easy and secure method for inputting information. The data collected will only be used for emergency notification purposes." Questions should be directed to the Concord Police Department, Detective James Forten at 978-318-3420 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
TO ENROLL TO RECEIVE EMERGENCY MESSAGES CLICK THE LINK BELOW:
TO REMOVE YOUR NUMBER FROM THE EMERGENCY NOTIFICATION SYSTEM
CLICK THE LINK BELOW: