Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Where is your office and what are your hours?

A: 133 Keyes Road, 2nd floor,Monday through Friday, 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM.

Q: What information do you have?

A: We have all types of maps, plans and reports. Most relate to roadways or other public works projects. The originals for the Assessors maps are updated and stored here.

Q: Can I get a map of my property?

A: We may have your plan on file, particularly if it has been filed at the Registry of Deeds. It may or may not show your house or other features. The Building Department (318-3280) is also an excellent source for these maps.

Q: How do you decide to pave a road?

A: A comprehensive database is connected to a detailed pavement management system. The overall condition of any street is calculated and ranked in comparison with all other streets in Town. Based upon the potential benefit gained from repairs and the available funding, a repair program is scheduled each year. Minor repairs (potholes, etc.) are handled through the Highway Division (318-3220).

Q: Where does my property end?

A: While many people assume that they own up to the pavement edge, the Town owns a strip of land called a Right of Way within which the roadway lies. The actual boundary offset varies from street to street.

Q: Can I plant flowers or put up a fence near the roadway?

A: Any work within the public Right of Way is regulated by Public Works and must be permitted through the Engineering Division.

Q: Can I get a lower speed limit on my street?

A: In order for a speed limit to be changed, a speed study must be performed. Speed studies take into account geometry of the roadway, physical characteristics of the area, and the speed of which the majority of the vehicles currently travel. In many cases, a study concludes that the speed limit should be raised.

Q: Can I get stop signs erected to slow traffic?

A: Certain conditions must be met in order for a Stop sign to be erected. These conditions, or warrants, are set forth in the Manual for Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD). The MUTCD is a national code for traffic signage/regulation. Slowing or discouraging traffic is not a warrant for posting stop signs.

Q: Can I get a different house number?

A: House numbers are based upon the location of a structure in relation to the stationing (measurement) of a given street's centerline. The house number corresponds to the approximate distance from the start of the street and aids emergency respondents in determining location under any circumstances. The odd/even designation denotes left-side/right-side respectively from start of street. Further information can be obtained by contacting the Engineering Division at 978-318-3210.